I’m getting back to testing a new painting ground. Instead of transferring the sketch to art board painted with white gesso I drew this on the drawing paper I like and put a thin coat of clear acrylic over it. Gesso is acrylic so I am confident the oil paint will stick. Gesso is flat and has more tooth than the clear gloss but so far that hasn’t been a problem.
Here I have started the dragon and nearly finished the skull. I am using the oil paint full strength with no additives and I really like the feel of it on the clear gloss. I’m looking forward to trying some glowing coals and flame effects on the logs. Not sure if it will look great or wreck it but so far this experiment is going well.
Finally getting to the birds. As if the leaves weren’t tedious enough now I’m painting feathers. Trying to find the colors. Another weird thing, my gouache black “Perylene Black” if watered down enough seems to be green.
At this point I am sick of painting the leaves. I still may do some touch up because I’m not happy with what I have but I have to get the Jewel Weed and the birds semi-finished to see what the leaves look like behind them. I thought I was clever drawing in all the details time will tell if it holds together as a finished piece.
I went back in on the Hummingbird painting. I was making 2 mistakes. I was being to timid with the paint and I was trying to do too much in one pass. The beauty of paint that will provide opacity is that you go back over areas again and again until you whip it into shape. There is still a lot to be done on this painting but it is starting to take shape.
I’m new at the gouache thing and I’m struggling with it. This is where it goes off the rails. You can see here that I’m watering it down to much and it is a mess. I was tempted to throw the whole thing in the trash but I decided to be a grown up and fight through it.